Beds have been around for hundreds of thousands of years, with early humans creating beds from whatever materials were available to them, such as leaves, grass, and animal skins. Over time, beds evolved to become more comfortable and luxurious, with different cultures developing their own unique styles and designs. One such type of bed is the emperor bed, which has a rich history and a fascinating origin story.
What is an Emperor Bed?
Before delving into the history of emperor beds, it is important to understand what exactly they are. An emperor bed is a large, luxurious bed that is designed for the ultimate in comfort and relaxation. It is typically much larger than a standard bed, with dimensions of around 215 cm x 215 cm. The term "emperor bed" comes from its association with royalty, as it was once a bed that was reserved only for kings and emperors.
The Origin of Emperor Beds
Emperor beds have their origins in ancient China, where they were first used by emperors during the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD). During this time, the emperor was considered to be the centre of the universe, and everything around him was designed to reflect his power and status. This included his bed, which was the most luxurious and comfortable bed in the entire palace.
The emperor bed was typically made from high-quality materials such as silk, gold, and jade, and was adorned with intricate carvings and decorations. It was also larger than any other bed in the palace, to symbolise the emperor's power and importance.
Over time, emperor beds became more widespread in China and were eventually adopted by other cultures around the world. In Europe, emperor beds were used by monarchs and nobles and were often made from expensive materials such as velvet and brocade. In Japan, emperor beds were known as "tatami beds," and were made from woven straw mats placed on the floor.
Product: Lyla Metal Bed Frame
Emperor Beds Today
Today, emperor beds are still considered to be the ultimate in luxury and comfort. They are typically made from high-quality materials such as leather, velvet, or silk, and often feature intricate carvings and decorations. While they are still very large, they are now more accessible to the general public, and can be found in many high-end furniture stores.
Emperor beds are also popular in the hospitality industry, particularly in luxury hotels and resorts. Many hotels feature emperor suites, which are designed to provide guests with the ultimate comfort and luxury. These suites often include a large emperor bed, as well as other amenities such as a private pool, a jacuzzi, and a personal butler.
Why Choose an Emperor Bed?
In addition to being a symbol of luxury and status, emperor beds also offer a number of benefits that can enhance your sleeping experience. Here are just a few reasons why you might choose an emperor bed over a standard bed:
- Plenty of Space: One of the biggest benefits of an emperor bed is its size. With dimensions of around 7 feet by 7 feet, an emperor bed provides plenty of space for you to stretch out and get comfortable. This is particularly beneficial for couples, as it allows both partners to have their own space without feeling cramped or crowded.
- Comfortable Support: Emperor beds are designed to provide a high level of support and comfort. They often feature a combination of soft padding and sturdy support systems, such as pocket springs or memory foam. This can help to relieve pressure points and reduce pain, resulting in a more restful night's sleep.
- Reduced Disturbances: Another benefit of an emperor bed is that it can help to reduce disturbances from your partner or other external factors. Because of their large size, emperor beds are less likely to bounce or sway when one person moves around, which can help to prevent disruptions to your sleep.
- Improved Sleep Quality: Sleeping on an emperor bed can also improve the overall quality of your sleep. By providing a comfortable and supportive surface to sleep on, an emperor bed can help you fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer, and wake up feeling more refreshed and energised.
- Health Benefits: Finally, sleeping on an emperor bed may also have a number of health benefits. By reducing pressure points and supporting proper spinal alignment, an emperor bed can help to alleviate pain and discomfort in the back, neck, and joints. It may also help to improve circulation and reduce snoring, leading to better overall health and well-being.
Product: Congham Fabric Bed Frame
The history and origin of emperor beds is a fascinating one and shows how the concept of luxury and comfort has evolved over time. From their humble beginnings in ancient China, emperor beds have become a symbol of power, status, and wealth. Today, they are still considered to be the ultimate in comfort and luxury and are enjoyed by people around the world. Whether you are a king, an emperor, or just someone who appreciates a good night's sleep, an emperor bed is sure to provide you with the ultimate in comfort and relaxation.
Now that you know more about emperor beds and their rich history, why not take a look at the full range of emperor beds at the Endurance Beds store? Or, get in touch with the Endurance Beds team here if you have any questions.
By Shane Cousins on